Developing Kafka Streams Applications with Upgradability in Mind
Date : April 26, 2022
Time : 4:00 PM - 4:45 PM BST
- Neil Buesing, Principal Solutions Architect, Rill Data
Does your organization struggle with updating of its Kafka Streams application? Releasing a new version of a Kafka Streams application can be challenging, especially if its state has to be preserved between releases. Consider these best-practices and architectural ideas to make this process smoother and improve your release process.
Having experienced accidental removal of change-log topics and needing to expand partitions, it is much easier to handle with some planning. With the proper planning, you can achieve easier application upgrades.
Key take-aways from the session include:
- How do minimize the rebuilding of the state-stores.
- How to change stream topologies without affecting the existing state stores.
- What you can do when you absolutely need to increase the number of partitions within your application.
- How to leveraging schemas for application releases.
- Measures to prevent data corruption, especially if Kafka is not only your system of record but also your source of truth.
- Techniques to support rolling back an application.
- The advantages of splitting apart a Kafka Streams application into multiple applications.