How to Handle Kafka message offsets while using with Entity Framework Core Exception

I’m using the Confluent.Kafka plugin to read Kafka messages in .Net Core Worker Service.
Here’s my Code:

protected override async Task ExecuteAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            {
                _logger.LogInformation($"Executed background service at: {DateTime.Now}");

// Create consumer
                using var consumer = _kafkaConsumerService.BuildConsumer(GetConsumerSettings());
                consumer.Subscribe(_settings.SupportedKafkaTopic.TopicName);

try
                {
                    while (!cancellationToken.IsCancellationRequested)
                    {
                        try
                        {
                            var currentMsg = consumer.Consume(cancellationToken);
                            var messageValue = currentMsg.Message.Value;

_logger.LogInformation($"The message:{messageValue} has been consumed from the topic:{currentMsg.Topic} with offset:{currentMsg.Offset} at:{DateTime.Now}");

if (await _messageHandler.AddMessage(_settings.SupportedKafkaTopic.ServiceName, messageValue))
                            {
                                _logger.LogInformation($"The message:{messageValue} has been processed from the topic:{currentMsg.Topic} and recorded into SQL Server at:{DateTime.Now}");
                            }
                        }
                        catch (ConsumeException ex)
                        {
                            _logger.LogError(ex, $"Error occured while saving the data into SQL Server at:{DateTime.Now}");
                        }

// TODO: Analyse this delay, is this impacting too much?
                        // Its just fraction of mili seconds. this helps for cancellation and unit tests.
                        await Task.Delay(50, cancellationToken);
                    }
                }
                catch (OperationCanceledException ex)
                {
                    _logger.LogError(ex, $"Error occurred while consuming the kafka topic:{_settings.SupportedKafkaTopic.TopicName}");
                    consumer.Close();
                }
            }

Basically, Here, I’m saving the message into the SQL server using this _messageHandler.AddMessage method. My Consumer config holds EnableAutoCommit = true. I wanted to know is it the right approach? If anything fails while saving the data into the SQL server, it commits the offset anyhow. How to handle such a scenario? If the message is processed successfully, then only it should commit the offset, otherwise, it should not. So that I can process the failed message again.