Not able to use Custom Class for Kafka Stream Serdes

Hello,
I ran into the issue of serdes where Kafka stream is not able to construct kafka messages back to its Model class.
It throws below error
Exception in thread "radius-activity-ed509817-da62-4817-bb77-f7c265609d2b-StreamThread-1" java.lang.ClassCastException: class com.mii.kafka.communicator.KafkaHDCommunication cannot be cast to class java.lang.String (com.mii.kafka.communicator.KafkaHDCommunication is in unnamed module of loader 'app'; java.lang.String is in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')

Kafka Producer Configuration::

props.put(ProducerConfig.BOOTSTRAP_SERVERS_CONFIG, bootstrapServers);
props.put(ProducerConfig.KEY_SERIALIZER_CLASS_CONFIG, KafkaHDCommunicationSerializer.class);
props.put(ProducerConfig.VALUE_SERIALIZER_CLASS_CONFIG, KafkaHDCommunicationSerializer.class);

Kafka Stream configuration::

props.put(StreamsConfig.APPLICATION_ID_CONFIG,"radius-activity");		
props.put(StreamsConfig.BOOTSTRAP_SERVERS_CONFIG, "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9092");
props.put(StreamsConfig.DEFAULT_KEY_SERDE_CLASS_CONFIG, Serdes.Integer().getClass());
props.put(StreamsConfig.DEFAULT_VALUE_SERDE_CLASS_CONFIG,CustomSerde.class.getName());

I have created CustomSerde based on some forums.

public class CustomSerde extends WrapperSerde<KafkaHDCommunication> {

public CustomSerde() {
        super(new JsonSerializer<>(), new JsonDeserializer<>(KafkaHDCommunication.class));
    }
}

Questionnaires::

1. How to use Custom class KafkaHDCommunication as SERDES ?
  2. Can I reuse KafkaHDCommunicationSerializer and KafkaHDCommunicationDeserializer that I have already created for Producer ?
  3. Is there any link that explains well about producer and kafka streams example with custom serdes ?

Hi @milan4confluent - apologies for the late response.

From reading the stack trace it looks like it’s a matter of trying to cast KafkaHDCommunication to a String can you verify that you’re not assigning the object to a string somewhere? Even though you’ve added your custom Serde to the Kafka Streams configuration if you provide one when building a stream via Consumed that will override the Serde in the configs. Can you check if you did that?

HTH
Bill