Tiered Storage question on setup - Confluent Platform

I’m trying to setup tiered storage as a test on my local box (ubuntu) with all-in-one Confluent Platform (tar.gz). I’ve tested S3 sink connector and it’s working just fine, but I keep getting the following error when tiered storage is enabled:

[2020-12-26 19:55:53,595] WARN Failed to become ready. Retrying in 5000ms. (kafka.tier.topic.TierTopicManager)
[2020-12-26 19:55:58,600] WARN Caught exception when ensuring tier topic is created. Will retry. (kafka.tier.topic.TierTopicManager)
org.apache.kafka.common.errors.InvalidReplicationFactorException: Replication factor: 3 larger than available brokers: 1.

I’ve followed the documentation (Tiered Storage | Confluent Documentation), which looks pretty straight forward. I also checked all the config files, by default replication factor is set to 1 anyways. I have the datagen connector populating pageviews topic but I keep getting the above error and nothing gets sent to S3 bucket. I can’t find any online resources about this since it’s pretty new I guess.

I’d appreciate it if anyone has faced this issue before or can show me some pointers.
Thanks in advance.

If you haven’t already done so, perhaps try configuring the following broker property:

confluent.tier.metadata.replication.factor=1

hey selim,
how did you create the topic?
with
--replication-factor 3
or
--replication-factor 1

Just tried that and it’s working. Thank you.

confluent.tier.metadata.replication.factor=1

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.