UDF/UDAF on confluent cloud

Is it possible to configure UDF’s/UDAF’s on conlfluent cloud for KSQL.

If yes, any documentation on it?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @shubhamshirur

this tutorial might help:

as well as this blog post

Best,
michael

2 Likes

From my reading of the tutorials, it appears that you can run UDFs/UDAFs on your own deployment of ksqlDB, and can use your own deployment of ksqlDB to process topics in a Confluent Cloud Kafka cluster. What I don’t see is the ability to run UDFs/UDAFs on the hosted ksqlDB cluster.

Is it possible to run UDFs/UDAFs on a ksqlDB cluster hosted in Confluent Cloud? If not, is this in the roadmap for Confluent Cloud?

@mmuehlbeyer Do you know?

Hello Team,

I am trying to create UDFs for confluent platform KSQLDB. I followed ksqldb.io documentation for UDFs and followed steps accordingly, create Java class, assigned annotations, created executable jar of it and pasted in directory which is refernced in ksql-server.properties with name ‘ksql.extension.dir’.

Once ksql-server is up, I can describe function and can see its descriptions except variations field in description. Also, when I tried to run that function in query, it says it can not accept string parameter but in java code @UdfParameters is String as shown below.

DESCRIBE function convert;

{
  "@type": "describe_function",
  "statementText": "DESCRIBE function convert;",
  "name": "CONVERT",
  "description": "converts json string to json data format",
  "author": "shubham shirur",
  "version": "0.0.1",
  "path": "/data/ext/UDFs-1.0-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar",
  "functions": [

],
  "type": "SCALAR",
  "warnings": [

]
}

Function ‘convert’ does not accept parameters (STRING). Valid alternatives are: For detailed information on a function run: DESCRIBE FUNCTION ; Statement: select convert(event) from TEST_EXTRACT EMIT CHANGES;

Hi David, I’m new for ksqldb and also want to deploy UDF on ksqldb in confluent cloud. Do you know if it is possible to do that?

Thank you so much,

Soon after I asked the question here, I asked Confluent support, and the answer was that UDF was not supported in Confluent Cloud. We then dropped the idea of using ksqldb. I don’t know the current situation.

Got it, Thank you so much