Beginner's Sources for 3.0.0 with Kraft

I am trying to learn Kafka, and one of the first things I have discovered is the move away from Zookeeper in 3.0.0, which seems to be a pretty significant change. Most importantly for a beginner, as far as I understand, it simplifies the operation of Kafka. Many of the sources for beginners that I have found (or bought) include the use of Zookeeper. So the question is whether there are any succinct descriptions of how to set up 3.0.0 without Zookeeper that might be of use to a beginner, and perhaps an easy to understand list of changes that might be of assistance. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi,

have a look at the confluent page

and also consider gunnars blog

will check my links later if I could provide some more infos
HTH,
Michael

2 Likes

Thanks, @mmuehlbeyer. The first page is great because it concisely explains both the why and the how. With a bit of tinkering - and combining it with Apache Kafka® Quick Start - Local Install - I was able to get going. The second one looks interesting, but I must admit that some things mentioned there were beyond my level for the moment. I’ll give it a new read when I get beyond the 101.

1 Like

I think it’s good to add that Zookeeper less Kafka isn’t considered ready for production yet. Once that’s the case, and most/all people that start to setup Kafka do it without Zookeeper it makes sense to update/add introductions.

Not sure you are aware of the Confluent Cli, or the several docker compose files available. But if it just for running locally, you hardly notice it’s also using Zookeeper.

1 Like

I think it’s good to add that Zookeeper less Kafka isn’t considered ready for production yet. Once that’s the case, and most/all people that start to setup Kafka do it without Zookeeper it makes sense to update/add introductions.

Well, it will take time before I am using Kafka in production. Besides, anything that makes Kafka easier to learn is most welcome from a beginner’s perspective.

Not sure you are aware of the Confluent Cli, or the several docker compose files available. But if it just for running locally, you hardly notice it’s also using Zookeeper.

Total greenhorn here, so no. Will look into that. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.