Confluent CLI error

Hi Team,

I am trying to use Confluent CLI to post some messages into demo topic but i am getting this error-

Error: failed to obtain topics from client: API key may not be provisioned yet
%3|1676032533.888|FAIL|Confluent-CLI_v3.1.0#consumer-1| [thrd:sasl_ssl://pkc-l7pr2.ap-south-1.aws.confluent.cloud:9092/bootst]: sasl_ssl://pkc-l7pr2.ap-south-1.aws.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstrap: SSL handshake failed: SSL transport error: Unknown error (after 27ms in state SSL_HANDSHAKE)
%3|1676032534.739|FAIL|Confluent-CLI_v3.1.0#consumer-1| [thrd:sasl_ssl://pkc-l7pr2.ap-south-1.aws.confluent.cloud:9092/bootst]: sasl_ssl://pkc-l7pr2.ap-south-1.aws.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstrap: SSL handshake failed: SSL transport error: Unknown error (after 25ms in state SSL_HANDSHAKE, 1 identical error(s) suppressed)

I have followed the instructions in the demo tutorial in setting up the cluster and demo topic.
The other commands like
confluent kafka cluster list
confluent kafka topic list
are working fine but only when i am trying to post the messages into the topic or consume from it i am getting the error.

On the day i set up the cluster and topic everything was working fine but the following day the posting to topic and consuming from it is throwing error.

Any help or clue will be highly appreciated

Same error here. Kindly help.

confluent kafka topic consume --from-beginning poems

%3|1688563525.662|FAIL|Confluent-CLI_v3.20.0#consumer-1| [thrd:sasl_ssl://pkc-p11xm.us-east-1.aws.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstr]: sasl_ssl://pkc-p11xm.us-east-1.aws.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstrap: SASL authentication error: Authentication failed (after 5557ms in state AUTH_REQ)

Hi! I had the same problem and found that I could make it work if I submitted the API key and secret explicitly like so :

confluent kafka topic consume --from-beginning poems --api-key YOUR_API_KEY_FROM_EARLIER_STEP --api-secret API_SECRET_FROM_ABOVE

No idea why this is happening, though, and doing it this way is not very convenient.

1 Like

works for me as well, thanks!

The above solution worked for me Thanks!! I remember using a past version of the CLI from about 6 months ago and didn’t run into this issue. Is this a newer bug. Is it being tracked?

I’m also having the same problem. Is there any solution yet??

%3|1693059289.125|FAIL|Confluent-CLI_v3.30.0#consumer-1| [thrd:sasl_ssl://pkc-6ojv2.us-west4.gcp.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstra]: sasl_ssl://pkc-6ojv2.us-west4.gcp.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstrap: SSL handshake failed: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed: broker certificate could not be verified, verify that ssl.ca.location is correctly configured or root CA certificates are installed (brew install openssl) (after 227ms in state SSL_HANDSHAKE)

%3|1693059289.155|FAIL|Confluent-CLI_v3.30.0#consumer-1| [thrd:sasl_ssl://pkc-6ojv2.us-west4.gcp.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstra]: sasl_ssl://pkc-6ojv2.us-west4.gcp.confluent.cloud:9092/bootstrap: SSL handshake failed: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed: broker certificate could not be verified, verify that ssl.ca.location is correctly configured or root CA certificates are installed (brew install openssl) (after 24ms in state SSL_HANDSHAKE, 1 identical error(s) suppressed)