What if I use Confluent Kafka Community version commercially?

Hello, I’m Inhwan Shin at FuturegenCplanet Inc.

I have a questions regarding the possibility of commercial use with the Confluent Community License.

By commercial use, I mean providing services to third parties in exchange for payment.

To be more specific,

1. Is it possible to use Kafka server (broker), Zookeeper, ksqlDB, Rest Proxy, Schema Registry, and Connect for commercial purpose under the Confluent Community License?

2. Can Confluent Connector’s Free License connector be used for commercial purpose?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Components licensed under the Confluent Community License can be used for commercial purposes with the exception of the “Excluded Purpose” in the license:

Excluded Purpose ” means making available any software-as-a-service, platform-as-a-service, infrastructure-as-a-service or other similar online service that competes with Confluent products or services that provide the Software.

This FAQ is a helpful resource and includes examples, as is the blog introducing the license. You can contact legal@confluent.io with questions about your specific situation.

Are you referring to the connectors on Confluent Hub shown on Confluent Hub if you check this box?

You’d want to look at the individual connectors – some are Apache 2.0-licensed and some are Confluent Community License where the SaaS excluded purpose applies.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.