Examples for python3 client on raspberry pi connecting to Confluent Cloud

Hi there, I’m new here and I’m trying to find examples for python3 client running in raspberry pi (raspbian) that can connect to a Kafka cluster ssl hosted in Confluent.io

1 Like

Hi @luis-cardozo, welcome to the forum!

You can find a guide here. Let us know if you have issues with it :slight_smile:

Hi Robin, thank for your answer.

The Python client work perfect in a linux machine running on Intel architecture. But, in arm7, the process fail when I’m trying to install “pip install confluent-kafka” and the error is:

#include <librdkafka/rdkafka.h>
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  compilation terminated.
  error: command 'arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc' failed with exit status 1

Hey @luis-cardozo,

arm64 support has only recently been added to librdkafka (v1.6.0), so you’ll need to be sure you’ve installed the latest version of that.

Best of luck!

1 Like

I think you’ll need to build librdkafka yourself first (since v1.6 it’s supported on ARM). After that the pip install should work fine. This post might be useful too.

Edit: @travis-a-hoffman beat me to it :slight_smile:

Thanks @rmoff and @travis-a-hoffman, in other integrations process, I had to compile to raspbian, but usually in Arm-32 (default). In this case, is the same for 32 bits?

It should be similar, but you’re on less well charted ground! :slight_smile: You’ll just want to be sure you’re creating a binary that deploys to the raspbian structure and eabis.

If you’re even considering compiling it yourself you’re probably already aware there might be some 32bit vs 64bit quirks you may have to address (related to long/int sizes).

Would love to hear about your fixes/workarounds for 32bit!

1 Like